The ‘Castle Map of Scotland’ is currently a ‘work in progress.’ We are continually adding new castles, and plan to cover the entire country. If your favourite castle is missing from the map, please let us know, and we will endeavour to add it, as soon as possible.
Click on a castle icon for photos, and to find out more about each castle. Please note that while a lot of effort has been put into creating this map, locations in some instances may be approximate. Also some properties may be private, so please do your research before deciding to visit any of the castles shown.
>>> Click Here for ’10 Scottish Castles You Can Spend a Night In.’
The oldest surviving building within Dunfermline town, and a survivor of the Great Fire of Dunfermline in 1624,
Abbots Tower is a late-16th-century tower house situated near New Abbey, Dumfriesshire. It was restored in the early 1990s and is now used as a private residence.
Parts of the castle date from around 1200, making Aberdour one of the two oldest datable standing castles in Scotland.
The castle was built around 1550 by Sir Alexander Gordon of Midmar. During the first Jacobite rising in 1689, the castle was garrisoned by Spanish troops under the command of General Hugh Mackay. The castle has been owned by the Gordon family since 1482.
Achallader Castle is a ruined 16th-century tower house under the shadow of Beinn Achaladair, about 3.5 miles north of Bridge of Orchy. The 16th Century origin, and at different time has been in the possession of various clans.
In 1802 Achnacarry, which had spent the last fifty or so years in ruin, was rebuilt under Donald Cameron, XXII Chief of Clan Cameron as a Scottish baronial style home. Today a private residence.
Ackergill was built in the early 16th century by the Clan Keith, and is a category A listed building. Today it is used as a wedding venue.
Aiket Castle was built by the Cunninghames soon after they acquired the land in 1479. The castle was destroyed and then rebuilt, with an extension, in 1592. Further major modifcations have been made since. Today the castle is private property.
A castle was built on the site in c. 1432 and was burnt out in 1640, with a mansion house being built incorporating and on top of some of the ruins in c. 1792–93 and is occupied.
Airth Castle is a major historic building, and retains much medieval fabric, and is designated as a Category A listed building by Historic Scotland. The castle is now operated as a hotel. Multiple ghosts are reputed to haunt the building.
Aithernie Castle is an early 17th century stone tower house, founded by William Riggs. Aithernie was mentioned in a mid 12th century inheritance and in the 13th century it belonged to the Lundin family.
Dating from the 14th century, and retaining its original timber roof and battlements, the Tower is one of the earliest, and largest, of Scottish tower houses, with immensely thick walls. Once the medieval residence of the Erskine family, later Earls of Mar.
Almond Castle is a ruined L-plan castle, dating from the 15th century, three miles west of Linlithgow. The estate originally belonged to the Clan Crawford, and they built the castle around 1470. Today the castle lies in the middle of a modern industrial estate.
There has probably been a stronghold on this site since the twelfth century, but the present tower was built by the Charteris family around 1600. That family feuded with the Kilpatricks of Kirkmichael leading to the murder of Roger Kilpatrick in 1526.
Ardblair Castle is an L-plan castle (with an added wing), dating from the 16th century. It is thought that the original castle was built by the Blairs during the Norman period, on the site of a fort.
All that remains of Ardencaple is a tower, perched on the edge of a plateau. The original castle was supposed to originate from the 12th Century and demolished in 1957.
The castle is dated to the late 15th century. The three-storey ruin is protected as a category B listed building.
Ardross Castle was a c.14th century castle that was located in Elie and Earlsferry, Fife, Scotland. The castle is in ruins, with the vaulted basement visible above ground.
Ardtornish was one of the principal seats of the high chiefs of Clan Donald from the early 14th to late 15th century. Now in ruins.
Ardvreck Castle is a ruined castle dating from the 16th century which stands on a rocky promontory jutting out into Loch Assynt. The castle is thought to have been built by the Clan McLeod, and only ruins remain today.
Armadale is a ruined country house in Armadale, Skye, former home of the MacDonalds. The building has been abandoned since 1925 and fallen into ruin.
Arnot Tower was built in the fifteenth century and has been a ruin for 3 centuries. The tower now lies in the gardens of a private property. The tower was built by the Arnot familt, whose name has been connected with the area for over 900 years.
Aros Castle, also known as Dounarwyse Castle, is a ruined 13th-century castle near Salenn on the Isle of Mull. Aros was once a stronghold of the clans MacDougall, Donald and MacLean.
Ashintully was built in 1583 as a fortified tower house by the Spalding family, the Feudal Barons of Ashintully. The castle is reputed to have numerous ghosts.
Auchans is a mock military mansion, Category A listed building of late 16th century origin. It's ruins stand about 1km west of Dundonald.
Dating back to 1220, the original castle was probably built by Sir Humphrey de Kirkpatrick when he was Senestal of Annandale.
The castle was in the form of a courtyard with unusual solid drum towers flanking the gate and the corner towers. Not much remains today.
Auchenbathis is a ruined fortification, a tower house, once held by the Wallace Clan of Elderslie. Today, little remains.
Auchencloigh is a ruined medieval fortification near the Burnton Burn, lying within the feudal lands of the Craufurd Clan. Very little remains today.
Auchenskeoch Tower is a 17th-century tower house situated near Dalbeattie. The remains of the tower are within the modern Castle Farm.
13th century castle located northwest of Dundee, Angus, Scotland. The original castle was enclosed with walls, towers, and contained a keep.
The castle was built in the 16th century, probably by Adam Otterburn of Reidhall, Lord Provost of Edinburgh. It consists of a three-storey main block with a projecting stair-tower. Part of a vaulted basement remains, but the upper floors are mostly gone.
The original castle, a peel tower, had once been a stronghold of the Home family. This castle was captured by the English in 1497, and the nearby church was the scene of the subsequent negotiation of the treaty of Ayton. In 1851 a new castle was built in the Scottish Baronial style.
Baldoon Castle was home of the Dunbar family from the 1500's to early 1800's. In a ruinous state today.
Balfour Castle was a baronial mansion at Balfour Mains, Angus, Scotland. The castle which was built in the 16th century is largely demolished except for a six storey circular tower. A farm house has been built incorporating some of the ruins.
The lands of Balgonie were held by the Sibbalds from at least 1246. Probably in the 1360s, the Sibbalds built a barmkin, or fortified courtyard, with a tower house at the north-west corner.
Balhousie dates back to 1631, though its origins are believed to go back a further three hundred years. It originally served as the seat of the Earls of Kinnoull, and stood within a walled enclosure containing subsidiary buildings, orchards etc., on a terrace overlooking the North Inch.
A tower house named Balintor existed on the site in the late 16th century. The current building was designed in 1859.
The castle was built in 1507 when King James IV ordered his private secretary James Murray to build himself a fortified house at. It was destroyed in 1545, and rebuilt by his son. The house burnt down accidentally in 1868, and stood roofless until it was restored between 1992 and 1997. It is now privately owned.
Ballinbreich Castle is a ruined tower house castle in Fife, Scotland. The castle was built in the 13th century by Clan Leslie.
Ballinshoe Castle is a small tower house of late 16th or 17th century date. It comprises an oblong block (8.3m by 6.8m overall) of three storeys at the NE corner of which a stair-tower formerly stood.
Ballone Castle is a Category A listed, Z-plan, late 16th century castle comprising 4 floors in the main tower with a two storey gatehouse wing built c1623. Today a private residence.
Ballone Castle is a Category A listed, Z-plan, late 16th century castle comprising 4 floors in the main tower with a two storey gatehouse wing built c1623. Today a private residence.
Constructed in the 14th–15th century.The castle comprised a rectangular enclosure, approximately 21 metres (69 ft) on a side, with round corner towers, overlooking the Fithie Burn.
Balmangan Tower is a ruined 16th-century tower house situated near Borgue. Traditionally, this was the residence of a branch of the McLellans of Bombie.
Balmoral has been one of the residences for the British Royal Family since 1852. The estate and its original castle were purchased privately by Prince Albert, consort to Queen Victoria.
There has been a castle on the site since the 14th century, although the present building was remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries. Ancestral home of the chiefs of Clan Ross.
Balquhain Castle is a ruined tower house in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It was the stronghold of the Leslies of Balquhain. The castle is located 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) west of Inverurie.
Baltersan was a fine fortified lairds house of the late 16th century, now in a ruinous state. The building once belonged to the Kennedy family.
Balvaird is a traditional late medieval Scottish tower house, built around the year 1500 for Sir Andrew Murray, a younger son of the family of Murray of Tullibardine.
Built as a motte and bailey castle in the 12th century and held by the Comyns, Earl of Buchan. The castle was demolished and a mansion built in 1750.
Barcaldine Castle is a 17th-century tower house built by Sir Duncan Campbell, of Glenorchy, between 1601 and 1609. The ghost of Sir Duncan Campbell is said to have been spotted roaming Barcaldine searching for the man who murdered him.
The tower dates back to the late 15th century, and has been recently restored from a roofless state into a family home.
Barjarg Tower is an L-plan tower house probably dating from 1680, four miles south-east of Penpont. It is attached to a 19th Century mansion. Photo shows gatehouse.
Barnbougle Castle is a much-altered tower house on the south shore of the Firth of Forth. Although its history goes back to the 13th century, the present castle is the result of rebuilding in 1881 by the 5th Earl of Rosebery.
An unfinished castle started by Sir John Seton of Barnes, diplomat at the court of Philip II of Spain and later James VIs Treasurer of the Household and an Extraordinary Lord of Session, who died in 1594.
Barr Castle was constructed in the early 16th century. It passed into the hands of the Hamiltons of Ferguslie at the end of the 16th century who retained the castle until it was sold and abandoned for a new mansion in the late 18th century.
Barr Castle was constructed in the early 16th century. It passed into the hands of the Hamiltons of Ferguslie at the end of the 16th century who retained the castle until it was sold and abandoned for a new mansion in the late 18th century.
Probably dating from the 15th century this five storeyed red sandstone tower castle still stands as a prominent feature. The castle was built for the Lockart family who held the Barony of Galston.
Barscobe Castle is a 17th-century tower house in Balmaclellan. It is a typical house of a country laird, and according to a panel above the entrance, was built in 1648.
Bavelaw was built around a 16th-century L-plan tower house. Mary, Queen of Scots, and James VI both stayed at Bavelaw. After falling into a ruinous state, the building was restored in the 1900s. Today a private residence.
The present castle is a Baronial style mansion built in 1880, but incorporates older building work. There has been a castle on the site since the 12th century. Beaufort is the traditional seat of the Lords Lovat.
Bedlay Castle is a former defensive castle, dating from the late 16th and 17th centuries. The ghost of a large bearded man, identified as Bishop Cameron (former resident), has been seen in the castle. Now private residence.
Belltrees Peel is a medieval tower situated on a peninsula in Castle Semple Loch. It was constructed between 1547 and 1572 by the Semples.
Black Castle of Moulin
The castle was built about 1326 by Sir John Campbell of Lochawe on an island, or crannog, in a loch, now drained. The castle was torched in 1512, due to a fear of plague, and fell into ruins.
Blackcraig is a baronial mansion built in the 1850's by owner architect Patrick Allen Fraser, though it does incorporate a tower house dating from the 16th Century.
The House of Blackhall is the oldest remaining dwelling in Paisley. Blackhall was inhabited and used until around 1840, and nearly demolished in 1978. Now restored as private residence.
Blackness Castle is a 15th-century fortress on the shores of the Firth of Forth. It was built, probably on the site of an earlier fort, by Sir George Crichton in the 1440s. Today the castle is open to the public.
Blair Castle is the ancestral home of the Clan Murray, and was historically the seat of their chief, the Duke of Atholl. The Castle is said to have been started in 1269 by John I Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and is today an A-Listed building.
Blairquhan is a Regency era castle near Maybole in South Ayrshire, Scotland. It was the historic home of the Hunter-Blair Baronets and remained in the family possession until 2012, when it was sold to a Chinese company.
Bonshaw Tower is an oblong tower house, probably dating from the mid 16th century. It sits next to a 19th Century mansion.
Borve is a ruined 14th century tower house, located at the south-west of the island of Benbecula. Experts attributed the building of the tower to Amie mac Ruari, wife of John of Islay.
Bothwell Castle is a large medieval castle sited on a high, steep bank, above a bend in the River Clyde. The huge cylindrical donjon was built in the 13th century, but before the rest of the castle was completed it was severely damaged in a series of sieges.
The ruined castle, which dates back to the mid-14th century, was originally known as the Castle of Brathwell. Braal was granted by King Robert II of Scotland to his son, David Stewart, Earl of Caithness.
Braemar Castle is situated near the village of Braemar in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It is a possession of the chief of Clan Farquharson and is leased to a local charitable foundation. It is open to the public.
An excellent example of a later 16th century lairds house, having been built in 1581.
The present castle is on land owned by the Clan Scott since 1420. The castle was extensively remodelled by William Burn in 1837 for the 5th Duke of Buccleuch.
The castle is the seat of the Earl of Dalhousie, who is the clan chieftain of Clan Maule of Panmure in Angus, and Clan Ramsay of Dalhousie in Midlothian.
Brims is a late 16th-century rubble-built tower house on the L-plan consisting of a crow-step gabled main block, three storeys and an attic in height. Now in a roofless and dangerous state.
Broomhall Castle was originally built in 1874 by John Foukes and Frances Mackison in 1874, for James Johnstone.
Brought Castle was completed around 1495, although the site was earlier fortified in 1454 when George Douglas, 4th Earl of Angus received permission to build on the site.
Buittle Castle, also known historically as Botle or Botel Castle, is a ruined castle with origins in the 12th Century.
The lands of Burleigh were held by the Balfours from 1446, when they were granted by James II to John Balfour of Balgarvie, and a tower house was erected in the late 15th or early 16th century. Sir James Balfour of Pittendreich extended the castle in the late 16th century.
Cadzow Castle, now in ruins, was constructed between 1500 and 1550 on the site of an earlier royal castle. The original Cadzow Castle was built in the 12th century as an occasional royal residence for King David I.
The history of its builders can be traced to Undwin and his son Maccus in the eleventh century; Maccus gave his name to the barony of Maccuswell, or Maxwell. His grandson, John de Maccuswell, was first Lord Maxwell of Caerlaverock.
Cairnbulg Castle is a z-plan castle situated in Cairnbulg, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It was described by W. Douglas Simpson as one of the nine castles of the Knuckle, referring to the rocky headland of north-east Aberdeenshire.
Cairns Castle is a ruined keep, dating from the 15th century. This was originally a property of the Crichtons, built for George Crichton, Earl of Caithness, Lord High Admiral of Scotland, but passed to the Tennants from 1542 to 1708.
Caisteal Maol is an ancient seat of the Mackinnon clan, and the current ruins date back to the 15th Century, though have earlier origins.
Calgary Castle, also known as Calgary House, is a 19th-century castellated Gothic mansion. The house was built by Captain Alan MacAskill
The current building was erected in 1820 by Sir William Cunninghame, and exists on the site of an earlier fortress of 15th Century origin. Today its a private residence.
Carberry Tower is a 15th century tower close to Edinburgh. The tower was once the home of Lady Elphinstone, who was the sister of the late Queen Mother.
Caribisdale was built in the Scots Baronial style for the Duchess of Sutherland. The castle was used a youth hostel until 2011, and was put up for sale in 2014.
Cardoness Castle is a well-preserved 15th Century tower house, near Gatehouse of Fleet. Cardoness Castle passed through the hands of a number of owners before being placed in State care in 1927. Today it is cared for by Historic Scotland.
Careston Castle, also known as Caraldston Castle, is an L-plan tower house dating from the 16th century.
Carnasserie castle is a ruined 16th-century tower house, noted for its unusual plan and renaissance detailing. The castle was built in 1565 by reforming churchman John Carswell.
Carnell was originally a 15th Century stone keep, which was incorporated into the present day 19th Century mansion. The lands of Carnell were owned by the Wallace family as far back as the 15th Century. Today the building is private property.
Carrick Castle is a 15th-century tower house on the west shore of Loch Goil. In the spring of 1307, Robert the Bruce drove Henry Percy from the Castle before conducting a guerrilla war against Edward I of England.
The lands of Carsluith were held by the Cairns family until 1460, when they passed to James Lindsay of Fairgirth, Chamberlain of Galloway. He was probably the builder of the main tower at Carsluith in the late 15th or early 16th century.
The castle was the lowland seat of the earls and dukes of Argyll, chiefs of Clan Campbell, from the 15th to the 19th century, and was visited by Mary, Queen of Scots, in the 16th century.
Castle Cary Castle
Castle Cary Castle, is a fifteenth-century tower house, about 6 miles from Falkirk. It is thought have been built by Henry Livingstone of Myddillbynning in the period before 1485. Today a private residence.
Castle Cluggy, lies on the north side of the river Earn. As a “rickle of stones” it may have been built as early as the 12th Century sometime after the Battle of Monzievaird in 1005.
Castle Craig is a ruined tower house of 16th Century origin. The tower may have been used as a residence by the post-Reformation Bishops of Ross.
Castle Forbes is a 19th-century Scots Baronial country house near Alford, and has been home to the Forbes family for over 600 years.
Castle Fraser is the most elaborate Z-plan castle in Scotland and one of the grandest Castles of Mar. Open to the public.
Castle Grant was the former seat of the Clan Grant chiefs of Strathspey, and dates from the 15th Century. It was originally named Freuchie Castle but was renamed Grant in 1694. Now a private residence.
The castle was built around 1452 by Baron Gray of Fowlis under licence from James II of Scotland. The castle changed hands in 1614 when it was acquired by the then Earl of Strathmore who changed its name to Castle Lyon. The building is now used as a prison under the name HMP Castle Huntly.
Castle Kennedy was built in 1607, was burned down in 1716 and remains a ruin to this day. The grounds of the castle, which were laid out in the 1730s by John Dalrymple form attractive gardens, and are open to the public.
Castle Lachlan is an 18th-century baronial mansion or country house located at Strathlachlan. It was built in 1790 by Donald Maclachlan.
A building had been on the site from the 14th century, but the present structure was substantially enlarged after 1547 and formed part of the Ardgowan Estates.
The sixteenth-century castle, built as a Z-plan castle, was the seat of the Chiefs of Clan Menzies for over 400 years.
Castle of Mey
The Castle of Mey was built between 1566 and 1572, possibly on the site of an earlier fortification, by George Sinclair, 4th Earl of Caithness.
Castle of Park
The castle was begun in 1590 for Thomas Hay, the son of one of the Commendators of Glenluce Abbey, and his wife Jonet MakDouel. It was completed by 1599. Today it's an A-Lister building.
Castle of St John
was built by the Adairs of Kilhilt c.1510. It has been used as a home, a court, a prison, and as a military garrison during the Killing Times of Covenanter persecution in the 1680s. Now a museum.
Stalker is a four-storey tower house or keep picturesquely set on a tidal islet on Loch Laich. The original castle was a small fort, built around 1320 by Clan MacDougall who were then Lords of Lorn.
Castle Sween is thought to be one of the earliest stone castles built in Scotland, having been built sometime in the late twelfth century. Currently Castle Sween is under the protection of Historic Scotland.
Built in 1820 it replaced a late medieval castle, which was home of the Clan Lamont. In the Second World War it served as HMS Brontosaurus, and after the war it was sold to Glasgow Corporation. Currently for sale.
Cavers Castle is steeped in history and was most recently the seat of the Douglas family for over 300 years. In its day, the castle was a grand 64 room family residence sitting in grounds in excess of 100,000 acres.
Cawdor castle was built around a 15th-century tower house, with substantial additions in later centuries. Originally a property of the Clan Calder, it passed to the Campbells in the 16th century.
Cessford was built c. 1450 by Andrew Ker, ancestor of Robert Ker, 1st Earl of Roxburghe, and ancestor of the Dukes of Roxburghe.
Cessnock Castle has origins in the 13th Century though has undergone many alterations since then. Now a private residence.
Clackmannan Tower is a five-storey tower house, situated at the summit of Kings Seat Hill in Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, Scotland. It was built in the 14th century by King David II of Scotland and sold to his cousin Robert Bruce in 1359.
Late medieval castle in the suburban West Ferry area of Dundee, Scotland. It is one of the best-preserved examples of a 16th-century Z-plan tower house in Scotland.
Closeburn Castle is a tower house, probably of the 14th century, but possibly older, and is one of the oldest continually inhabited houses in Scotland. Private property.
The remains of Clova-Castle are situated on a height above the Glen Road. Very little is left of the building.
Cluny Castle was originally built c.1604 as a Z-plan castle. Owned by three separate branches of Gordon families over the centuries, it was used to shelter Jacobite rebels in the mid 18th century.
Owned by the Barclay family until 1789, it passed to the Balfours. On her way to St Andrews in 1564, it is said that Mary Queen of Scots spent three nights at Collairnie.
Built in 1545 by Cardinal Beaton, abbot of Arbroath Abbey. It was a Z-plan tower house, and was altered and extended in the 18th and 19th centuries. The castle is currently on privately owned.
Comlongon Castle is a tower house dating from the 15th century. The castle and mansion are now a hotel.
Corgarff castle was built in the mid 16th century by the Forbes of Towie. In 1571 it was burned by their enemy, Adam Gordon of Auchindoun, resulting in the deaths of Lady Forbes, her children, and numerous others
Corra Castle, a late 16th century rectangular tower-house believed to have been built by Sir John Maxwell. The building is now in ruins, and on private farm property.
Corsehill built by Godfrey de Ross, is a tower house of 12th Century origins. Today in a ruined state.
Corsewall Castle was built in the 15th Century and once belonged to the Campbell family. The castle is in a ruinous state today.
The present building dates from the 15th century, preceded by an earlier structure that was owned by the Earls of Strathearn. It was acquired by the Ogilvies in 1473 and substantively modified in the 17th and 19th centuries.
Couston Castle was built on lands granted to Robert de London, an illegitimate son of King William the Lion (1143–1214) in 1199.
Craigcaffie is a well preservered 16th Century tower. Inscriptions on the building refer to John Neilson and his wife, Margaret Strang, dated 1570.
Craigcook castle was built primarily in the 17th century, though with later additions. It was the home of Lord Jeffrey, and became known for its literary gatherings.
An Historic Castle dating from the early 16th century occupying a spectacular cliff top position with salmon fishings and established policies. Was for sale in 2009 for offers over £2 million.
Craigie Castle was originally built for the the Lindsay clan, and was built between the 12th and 15th Centuries. Today in a ruinous state.
The seat of Clan Sempill and the Forbes family who resided here for 350 years until 1963. Open to the public.
Craiglockhart Castle is a ruined tower house built by the Lockharts of Lee in the 15th Century, although some suggest it was built by the Kincaid family in the 12th Century.
Built in the first half of the 16th century, Craignethan is recognised as an excellent early example of a sophisticated artillery fortification. Now ruined.
Craignish is an old baronial architectural build, rebuilt around 1832. Scottish seat of the Gascoigne family of Parlington Hall. The site once featured an earlier castle, built by the Campbells of Craignish.
Craigston Castle, Turriff, Aberdeenshire is a historic home of the Urquhart family. It was built 1604-1607. The Urquhart family have recently started to use the magnificent castle to host weddings and other events.
The Tower was probably built in the late 15th or early 16th century, primarily as a defensive feature. It was at one stage part of the bishop of Dunkelds summer residence
Cranshaws is a privately owned 15th-century tower. The castle once belonged to the Douglas clan.
Crathes Castle is a 16th-century castle near Banchory. Built by the Burnetts of Leys and was held in that family for almost 400 years. Open to public.
The castle was formerly known as Lindsay Tower, after its former owners, the Lindsay family. It was built to defend the approach from England into the Clyde Valley.
The castle has been home to the Craufurds of Craufurdland since 1245. Today the property is rented out to holiday makers.
Crookston is surrounded by a defensive ring-ditch that dates back to the 12th century when Sir Robert de Croc, who also gave his name to the village of Crookston. Today the castle is maintained by Historic Scotland.
The site was the home of the Fullarton family for several centuries. The family demolished the castle, and used the remaining parts as an ice house.
This castle was built in the 13th Century, though there is evidence of a structure here dating way back to the 1st Century. Today the castle is in a ruinous state.
Built in the 18th Century, Culzean was once home to the Clan Kennedy, and is recognised as one of Scotlands iconic castles. Now open to the public.
The first castle built here was the property of the bishops of St Andrews, and may have been constructed by William de Lamberton, bishop of St Andrews from 1298 to 1328. A Scottish parliament was held at the castle in early 1335.
Dalcross is a 17th Century tower house built by Simon, first Lord Lovat. Today the castle has been fully renovated, and used to provide private accommodation which can be hired by visitors.
Dalnaglar Castle is set on a beautiful naturally elevated site. Originally an early 19th century hunting lodge, the castle was commissioned by Lord Clyde, Queen Victoria's banker, and designed by Her Majesty's architect from Balmoral. Today used as tourist accommodation.
At its core is a 15th-century tower house, with extensive additions built during the 17th and 19th centuries. In the 1980s the house was restored and divided for sale as eighteen private apartments.
Dean Castle was was the stronghold for the Boyd Family, who were lords of Kilmarnock for over 400 years. Today the castle and park is open to the public.
A castle has stood on the site of Delgatie Castle since the year 1030 AD, although the earliest parts of the castle standing today were built between 1570 and 1579. Open to public.
The oldest parts of the castle date to the 13th century, and it was abandoned by the end of the 17th century.
Dornoch Castle was built around 1500 as the home of the bishops of Caithness. In 1570 the castle was set alight in a feud between the McKays and Murrays. Today the castle is used as a hotel.
Douglas Castle was a stronghold of the Douglas family from medieval times to the 20th century. The first castle, erected in the 13th century, was destroyed and replaced several times until the 18th century when a large mansion house was built in its place. This too was demolished in 1938.
Douneray castle probably dates from the second half of the 16th century. In 1614 it was the property of William Sinclair of Dunbeath. Today a ruin.
James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton, Regent of Scotland, started building Drochil Castle in 1578, three years before his execution by King James VI. It was no more than half built on his death, and was never finished.
Drum Castle is a castle near Drumoak in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. For centuries it was the seat of the chief of Clan Irvine. The place-name Drum is derived from Gaelic druim, meaning ridge.
Drumlanrig was constructed in the 1600's from distinctive pink sandstone is an example of late 17th century Renaissance architecture. The first Duke of Queensberry, William Douglas, had the castle built on the site of an ancient Douglas stronghold overlooking Nith Valley.
Drumcoltran Tower was built in the 1500's by the Maxwell family. Today the castle is open to the public.
The castle comprises a tower house built in the late 15th century, and a 17th-century mansion, both of which were rebuilt in Victorian times. The gardens date to the 1630s.
The tower was likely to have been raised according to a statute of the Parliament of Scotland in 1535, that required large landholders in the Borderlands to build defensive towers of stone and lime.
Duart castle dates back to the 13th century and is the seat of Clan MacLean. In the winter of 2013-14 the castle lost four ceilings due to water damage. In July 2014, a Restoration Appeal was launched.
Duchal Castle, on the outskirts of Kilmacolm, was constructed by Ralph de lIsle. in the 13th century and remained in the family until purchased by the Porterfields in 1544. Now little remains.
The castle was originally built in the late 13th century by the Scrymageour family, with the original castle being a smaller tower house. This was replaced around 1460, and then further extended in 1580 to its current L-plan structure.
A property at Dounens was shown on maps in 1590; Dunans House was elaborated into its present mock castle form in 1864.
Once of one of the most mighty fortresses in Scotland, situated over the harbour of the town of Dunbar.
A castle has stood here since the 15th century, though the present building is of mainly 17th-century origin, with 19th-century extensions. Today a private residence, and not open to public.
Dundas Castle is a 15th-century castle, with substantial 19th-century additions. Today the castle is used for weddings and corporate events.
Dunderave Castle is an L-plan castle built in the 16th century as the Scottish seat of the MacNaughton clan. The castle is in use as a private residence.
Dundonald Castle is a fortified tower house built for Robert II on his accession to the throne of Scotland in 1371 and it was used as a royal residence by Robert II and his son Robert III.
Dunduff Castle is a 17th Century restored stair-tower in South Ayrshire, Scotland, built on the hillside of Brown Carrick Hills. Today in private ownership.
Dunnideer Castle, now ruined, was a tower house located near Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. It was built c.1260 partially from the remains of an existing vitrified hill fort in the same location.
Dunninald Castle, set in some of the most spectacular grounds in the area, is a classic example of late-style Scottish castle building. The first castle on this site was built in the 15th Century.
Dunnottar is best known as the place where the the Scottish crown jewels, were hidden from Oliver Cromwell's invading army in the 17th century.
Dunollie is a small ruined castle located on a hill north of the town of Oban. There was a fortification on the site since the early Middle Ages.
Dunrobin is the family seat of the Earl of Sutherland and the Clan Sutherland. The castle's origins lie in the Middle Ages, but most of the present building and the gardens was added by Sir Charles Barry between 1835 and 1850. Open to the public.
The oldest part of Duns Castle, the massive Norman Keep or Pele Tower, dates from 1320. The earlier house was transformed into a Gothic castle, 1818–22, by architect James Gillespie Graham.
Dunscaith is a ruined castle on the coast of the Isle of Skye. Originally the castle belonged to the Clan MacDonald of Sleat.
Dunskey Castle is a ruined, 12th century tower house or castle located near the village of Portpatrick. The property is currently private, and public access is restriced.
The castle dates back to the 13th century, making it one of Scotland's oldest stone castles. Guarding a strategic location, it was built by the MacDougall lords of Lorn, and has been held since the 15th century by the Clan Campbell. Open to the public.
Duntarvie Castle is a once ruined Scots Renaissance house which is currently under reconstruction (see photo.) Constructed in the late 16th century, the lands of Duntarvie once belonged to the Lindsays.
Duntrune was originally built by the MacDougall clan in the 12th century and was eventually taken by the Clan Campbell.
Duntulm was built in the 14th and 15th centuries, when the area was subject to feuds between the rival MacLeod and Macdonald clans. Today, a ruin.
The castle dates from the 13th Century, but the ruins are from the 15th/16th Century. Dunure was reputedly built by the Clan Kennedy.
Dunvegan is the seat of the MacLeod of MacLeod, chief of the Clan MacLeod. Dunvegan Castle is the oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland and has been the stronghold of the chiefs of the clan for 800 years.
Of 12th Century origin Dunyvaig was once a naval base of the Lord of the Isles, chiefs of Clan Donald. It was held by the chiefs of the Clan MacDonald of Dunnyveg.
The castle was built 1546 by Sir William Bruce who had surived the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513. Mary Queen of Scots visited in 1561.
Earlstoun was once the stronghold of the Gordons of Earlstoun, and is believed to originate from the 16th/17th Century. The castle was reputedly built by James, Earl of Bothwell as a hunting lodge.
The castle was built in the latter half of the 16th century by the Meldrum family with renovation and additional building carried out by George Leslie from 1676.
There has been a Royal castle on the site since at least the reign of David I in the 12th century, and the site continued to be a royal residence until the Union of the Crowns in 1603. From the 15th century the castles residential role declined, and by the 17th century it was principally used as military barracks.
Edingham Castle is a late-16th-century tower house. t is the remains of an early tower house built for the Livingstones of Little Airds.
Edzell Castle is a ruined 16th-century castle, with an early-17th-century walled garden. Now a visitor attraction, open all year.
Eilean Donan Castle
The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae. Eilean Donan is open to the public and considered to be one of Scotland's iconic castles.
Elcho consists of a Z-plan tower house, with fragments of a surrounding wall with corner towers. The Castle was built on the site of an older structure about 1560, and is one of the best surviving examples of its date in Scotland. The property is still owned by the family of the original builders, the Wemyss family.
Elphinstone Tower, also known as Dunmore Tower or Airth Tower, is a ruined tower house on the Dunmore Estate. The ruin dating from the 16th Century, is now a C-listed building.
Erchless was built in the 13th century by the Bissetts, it came into the hands of the Chisholms in the 15th century. Today it is a private residence.
The castle is roofless and missing large sections of wall which were reused in building sites nearby. The Gordon Arms are visible on the exterior.
Ethie Castle dates to around 1300, when the monks at nearby Arbroath Abbey built a sandstone keep. The castle passed through the hands of the de Maxwell family and into the ownership of Scotlands last Cardinal, David Beaton.
Falkland Palace is a former royal palace of the Scottish Kings. Today it is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland, and serves as a tourist attraction.
The present castle replaces a previous castle on the site, in existence in 1296. The castle originated as the Bishops palace of the Bishop of Brechin. Bishop Meldrum called it Palatium Nostrum in 1512.
The Fawsydes of that Ilk acquired land in the area from the Setons in 1371. The earliest part of the present building was constructed by the Fawsydes in the 15th-century.
Fasque House, is a mansion in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, situated near the village of Fettercairn. The present house was completed around 1809, replacing an earlier house.
Fast Castle is first recorded in 1333. In 1346 the site was occupied by an English garrison and was used as a base to pillage the surrounding countryside. Only ruined remains exist.
Fatlips Castle was built in the 16th century by the Turnbulls of Barnhills, notorious Border reivers, and owners of nearby Barnhills Tower and farm.
Fedderate Castle is a ruined castle near New Deer. Lord William Oliphant with Jacobite forces, took control of Fedderate Castle and held out against the forces of Hugh Mackay.
Fenton Tower in Kingston is a refurbished 16th century tower house. It retains the original footprint of the square keep, but now encompasses 7000 sq. ft. of living space over several levels.
Fernie Castle is an enlarged sixteenth-century tower house in north-east Fife, Scotland. It currently operates as a hotel.
Ferniehurst is an ancient seat of the Clan Kerr, and after a period of institutional use it was restored by the 12th Marquess of Lothian in the late 20th century.
14th-century towerhouse, rebuilt in 1761 as a Scottish gothic style Palladian manor, with clear evidence of prehistoric use of the site.
14th-century towerhouse, rebuilt in 1761 as a Scottish gothic style Palladian manor, with clear evidence of prehistoric use of the site.
The name is applied both to a ruined 17th-century castle, as well as the 19th-century mansion house 130m to the west.
The castle remains that are still here are from the 14th-century rebuilding, when the castle was redesigned based on the Roslyn Castle model.
Finlarig Castle is an early 17th-century castle standing on a mound on a peninsula between the River Lochay and Loch Tay. Finlarig was Built in 1629 by 'Black' Duncan Campbell (Donnchadh Dubh) of Glenorchy.
Floors was built in the 1720s by the architect William Adam for the 1st Duke, possibly incorporating an earlier tower house. In the 19th century it was embellished with turrets and battlements by William Playfair for the 6th Duke.
Fordell Castle is a restored 16th-century tower house, located 1.25 miles (2.01 km) north-west of Dalgety Bay.
Forse Castle is a ruined building dating from 1200. Forse Castle was the stronghold of the Sutherland of Forse family, a cadet branch of the Clan Sutherland. They lived in it until around 1600.
Forter Castle was originally built by the Ogilvies in 1560 and Destroyed by the Duke of Argyll in 1640, it has been completely restored using traditional materials.
Foulis Castle itself is mentioned briefly in records that date back to the 14th century although the original Tower of Foulis was believed to have been built in 1154. It is now a private residence.
Fourmerkland is a small tower house, erected in the late 1500's. A inscription with the initials of Robert Maxwell, and his wife can be seen above the doorway.
Probably built in the 1500s, Frenchland Tower was reportedly inhabited until about 1720. Today it is in a ruinous state.
Freswick is a tower like structure most likely of 17th Century origins, with 18th Century additions. Today the castle is an occupied private residence.
The present mansion house hotel is of a baronial style in dressed red sandstone, constructed around an earlier house in 1873. An earlier 16th Century tower house, existed on the site.
The earliest parts of Fyvie Castle date from the 13th century - some sources claim it was built in 1211 by William the Lion. Open to public in summer.
Galdenoch is an L plan tower, built in the 1500's. Now ruined. The tower was originally built for Gilbert Agnew of Lochnaw.
The castle consists of the remains of a simple tower house from the 14th century. Recent studies indicate that there is evidence of a vaulted cellar.
Garleton Castle belonged to the Lindsay family. It subsequently passed to the Towers of Innerleithen, and was sold by them to the Setons. By 1885 it could be described as a fragmentary ruin.
Gilbertfield Castle is a ruined 17th-century castle. Built around 1607 by the Hamilton family.
Gilnockie was built around 1520 by Johnnie Armstrong, famous Border outlaw and younger brother of Thomas Armstrong of Mangerton. In 1528, the tower was burned by Sir Christopher Dacre.
Glamis Castle is the home of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne, and is open to the public.
Glenapp was formerly the family seat of the Earl of Inchcape, and is now a luxury hotel. The castle was built in 1870.
Glengorm is a 19th-century country house on the Isle of Mull built by James Forsyth of Quinish. The house is protected as a Category B listed building.
Greenan Castle is a 16th-century tower house, possibly on the site of an ancient fort. The entrance lintel has the inscription, JK 1603 FMD, for John Kennedy of Baltersan and his third wife, Florence MacDowell.
Greenknowe Tower is a 16th-century tower house. The tower was built in 1581 by James Seton, and the date, his initials, and the initials of his wife Janet Edmonstone, are inscribed above the door.
The castle dates back to the 15th century, although much of the present building is of 19th-century origin. It is now a private house.
Built in 1582 by the Clan MacDougall. Gylen was only occupied for a relatively short period of time. The castle was besieged then burned by the Covenanters under General Leslie in 1647 during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms.
The carved stone above the door records that Haggs was built in 1585 by Sir John Maxwell of Pollok. Today a private residence.
The castle was originally founded as a fortified tower house by Hugo de Gourlay before 1300, making it one of the oldest constructions of its kind in Scotland.
The present castellated mansion was built starting in 1812 and completed by 1814.
The 16th-century castle was originally built in a typical Scottish Z plan tower house design, as a fortified country house.
Hermitage Castle was supposedly built by one Nicholas de Soulis around 1240, in a typical Norman Motte and Bailey pattern. It stayed in his family until approximately 1320.
Hills Tower was built in the 16th Century, and was once a stronghold of the Maxwell family.
Hoddom is an is an L-plan tower house, built in the 16th century. It was probably built for Sir John Maxwell, who acquired Hoddom in the mid 16th-century.
House of the Binns
The House of the Binns dates from the early 17th Century, and is the seat of the Dalyell family. Today the family is in the care of the National Trust and is open to the public.
Hume Castle is the heavily modified remnants of a late 12th- or early 13th-century castle. Its enormous walls were created in the 18th century but remnants of the central keep and other features can still be seen.
Huntingtower Castle was built in stages from the 15th century by the Clan Ruthven family and was known for several hundred years as the House of Ruthven.
Originally named Strathbogie, the castle was granted to Sir Adam Gordon of Huntly in the 14th century.
Illieston is a three storey house probably dating from the 16th or 17th Century. The Stewart kings, James II and James IV are said to have had a hunting lodge here. Now a private house.
A 16th Century tower house purchased by the Ogilvies of Dunlugas in 1557 and became their main family seat.
he castle, built in the 14th century, was a stronghold of the Stewarts and of the Hamilton family. It was extended several times, but was captured and destroyed by Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset in 1548.
Innes Chonnel Castle
Innes Chonnel Castle is a ruined 13th-century castle on an island on Loch Awe near Dalavich, Scotland. It was once a stronghold of Clan Campbell.
Inveraray has been the seat of the Duke of Argyll, chief of Clan Campbell since the 17th century. It is surrounded by a 16-acre garden and estate of 60,000 acres.
A category A listed building with links back to the Farquharson family who built a tower house in the vicinity in the 16th Century.
Invergarry Castle was the seat of the Chiefs of the MacDonells of Glengarry, a powerful branch of the Clan Donald. At least 2 castles have existed on the site. Only ruins remain today.
The present castle was built in the 16th century, and heightened in the early 17th century. The castle was abandoned in 1803.
The lands of Inverquharity came to the Ogilvie family around 1420. The castle was first constructed as a rectangular tower in the 1440s, by Alexander Ogilvie, 2nd Lord Inverquharity. In the 16th century a wing was added to form a four-storey L-plan castle.
Isle of Whithorn Castle
The castle features an inscriptions from 1674, bearing the initials of Patrick Houston and his wife. Houston was believed to be the builder of the castle.
The castle belonged to the Houstouns of Milliken, who acquired the estate of Easter Cochrane in 1773. The original structure was substantially enlarged in 1771 and 1812 by George Houstoun. Today the castle is a private residence.
On the shore of Kames Bay near Port Bannatyne, the castle consists of a 14th-century tower, with a house built on it in the 18th Century. Kames is one of the oldest continuously inhabited houses in Scotland.
The original building was an L-shaped Tower house, built long before 1589 when it was extended into a U-shaped courtyard house. The building acquired its modern appearance in the 19th century.
The earliest records of Kellie go back to 1150 where it is mentioned in a charter issued by King David I. The first known owner was Robert of London, the illegitimate son of King William the Lion.
The site was occupied from the Middle Ages, and the house incorporates part of a 17th-century castle. This was remodelled in the 19th century, but the house has been derelict since the mid-20th century. Once the seat of the Gordon family.
Kilchurn is a ruined 15th and 17th century structure on a rocky peninsula at the northeastern end of Loch Awe. Kilchurn Castle was built in about 1450 by Sir Colin Campbell, first Lord of Glenorchy, as a five storey tower house.
One of the most extensive castles dating from the 13th century to survive in eastern Scotland, and was the seat of the Earls of Mar.
Kilmahew was built sometime in the 16th century by the Napier family, who owned it for 18 generations. The ruins and surrounding lands are currently owned by the Catholic Church.
Kilmartin Castle is a 16th-century Z-plan tower house castle built by the Rector of Kilmartin and later owned by Clan Campbell.
Kilmory is a large 19th-century house located just to the south of Lochgilphead. It is currently occupied by the headquarters of Argyll and Bute Council. A house may have stood here as early as the 14th Century.
The remains of the castle are behind the Victorian St Mary's Kirk. An early castle was destroyed in the 16th century, and the rebuilt tower was pulled down by the 1700s. Little more than a few scattered stones of the base of a doorway with a length of wall punctuated by oval gun loops remain.
Kinfauns Castle was designed by Robert Smirke and built between 1822 and 1826 by Lord Gray on the site of a medieval stronghold. It's currently a private residence occupied by Scottish business woman Ann Gloag.
The present castle was built around 1620, to replace an earlier fortification. The Campbells held the property until the end of the 18th century. Today only ruins remain.
The 16th-century Kinnaird Castle was converted in 1787 for use as the Kinnaird Head Lighthouse
A castle was listed onsite in 1409, when the estate was granted to the Clan Carnegie. The castle burnt to the ground in 1921 and was rebuilt.
Kinnaird is home to the Earl and Countess of Southesk. The castle has been in the family for over 600 years and lies amidst 1300 acres of walled parkland. Today holiday apartments can be rented at the hotel.
Kinnairdy Castle is a tower house, having five storeys and a garret, two miles south of Aberchirder, Aberdeenshire.
Kinneil House is a historic house to the west of Bo'ness, and was once a principal seat of the Hamilton family. The house has 15th Century origins and is now in the care of Historic Scotland.
Kirkconnell was reputedly built around the 14th-15th centuries. The estate came into the possesion of the Maxwells in the 15th Century.
Kirkhope was presumably constructed by the early part of the 16th century in accordance with an act of the Scottish Parliament, dated 1535 that required large landholders in the Borderlands to build Barmkins of Stone and Lime. The property is now private.
Knock Castle is a four-storey ruin, dating from approximately 1600. The rectangular keep strongly resembles that of a Borders peel tower.
Knockhall was built by Lord Sinclair of Newburgh in 1565. It was purchased by Clan Udny, who moved into the castle in 1634.
Lag Tower was home of to the Grierson family, and was built around the 14th Century. Now a ruin.
Langholm Tower was built for the Armstrong family in early 1500s and was largely demolished by the 1700s. Today, little remains.
Once a royal fortress, it can claim to be one of the oldest privately owned and inhabited castles in the region.
Lee is is a castellated mansion in Auchenglen, with origins in the 14th Century. The castle was a seat of the Lockharts of Lee. Now a private residence, with an American owner.
Leith Hall is a country house in Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Built in 1650, on the site of the medieval Peill Castle, and run by the National Trust of Scotland since 1945.
The house comprises a 15th-century tower, originally known as Lethington Castle, and has been extended several times, principally in the 17th, 19th and 20th centuries. The house is protected as a category A listed building. Open to public in summer.
The historical seat of Clan Leslie. The core of the building dates to the 14th century.
The Tower of Lethendy is a tower of the L-plan, of three storeys and a garret, dating from the late 16th or early 17th century, on to which a modern mansion has been grafted. The main features of the early house survive, although it has suffered some alterations and some of its walls have been strengthened by large buttresses.
A motte and bailey castle originally built in the 12th century. All that remains today is the doocot.
The palace was one of the principal residences of the monarchs of Scotland in the 15th and 16th centuries. The place was burnt out in 1746, and is now in the care of Historic Scotland.
Loch Doon Castle
Loch Doon Castle dates from the early 13th century, and is said to have been built for Robert, Earl of Carrick. Once on an island the castle was dismantled and rebuilt on the side of the loch after the loch water level was raised in the 1930s.
Loch Leven Castle
Loch Leven Castle is a ruined castle on an island in Loch Leven. Possibly built around 1300, the castle was the location of military action during the Wars of Scottish Independence.
Lochar Tower also know as Isle Tower was built in the 17th Century by Edward Maxwell of Isle. Today the building is in a ruined state.
Lochhouse Tower is a mid-16th-century tower house situated near Moffat. The tower was built by the Johnstones of Corehead. Today it is a private residence.
Lochinch was built in the 19th Century and is the family seat of the Stair family. The castle is in Castle Kennedy Gardens, which are open to the public.
Lochmaben was built by Edward I in the 13th and 14th centuries, and later rebuilt during the reign of James IV of Scotland. An earlier motte-and-bailey castle was built south of the current castle in c. 1160 by the Bruce family, Lords of Annandale.
Lochnaw is a 16th-century tower house currently in private ownership. The castle was once home to the Agnew family.
Lochwood was the principal seat of the Johnstone family, built in the 15th Century.
The castle was constructed in around 1495 by Alexander Lindsay, 7th Earl of Crawford (d.1517). It was originally an L-plan tower house with five storeys. It is owned by the Blackburn family who also own Fernie Castle in Fife.
Loudoun Castle is a ruined 19th-century country that was destroyed by fire in 1941. Earlier fortified buildings were at the site from the 15th Century. The present day ruin is a category A listed building.
The site is associated with the MacDuff Earls of Fife, the most powerful family in Fife in the middle ages, although nothing survives from this period. The present ruins are the remains of the home of the Wemyss family, who lived here from the 14th century, and their successors in the 16th century.
MacLellan's Castle was built around 1577, instigated by Thomas Maclellan of Bombie. Today the property is under guardianship of Historic Scotland.
Mains Castle is a well-built tower, dating probably from the late 15th or early 16th century. Family seat of the Comyns, and later of the the family of Lindsay. Fully restored in the 1980's.
The castle is believed to have been built in 1562 by Sir David Graham, nephew of Cardinal Beaton. A keystone in the western gateway bears this date as well as the initials DG and DMO for David Graham and Dame Margaret Ogilvy.
Mauchline Castle, also known as Abbot Hunter's Tower, is a rectangular tower house dating from the fifteenth century. It was reputedly built as a monastic residence for Melrose Abbey. Today the building is a private property.
Maybole Castle was the town house of the Earls of Cassillis, and is believed to have been built in the 16th Century.
The late-17th-century Meggernie Castle is situated near the head of the long and narrow valley of Glen Lyon. Traces of 17th-century gardens remain. The lime avenue, replanted in the mid-19th century, follows the line of the original late-17th-century avenue and drive.
Megginch Castle is a 15th-century castle and was the family home of the late Cherry Drummond, 16th Baroness Strange.
The castle is generally said to have been built in 1543 on the orders of Cardinal David Beaton. Today the castle is a private home.
Mellingshaw is 16th Century tower, with little remaining today. The buiding one belonged to the Johnstone family.
Menstrie Castle is a three-storey manor house in the town of Menstrie, Clackmannanshire. From the early 17th century, it was home to Sir William Alexander, 1st Earl of Stirling, who was instrumental in founding the colony of Nova Scotia.
The present building is dated 1664, and was designed and built by the mason-architect John Mylne. It may incorporate older work. The Smythe family remained in possession throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, making additions to the castle and the grounds.
Midhope Castle is a 16th-century tower house located near South Queensferry, and once belonged to Alexander Drummond of Midhope.
Minard Castle is a 19th-century casellated mansion on the shore of Loch Fyne. The current structure is the enlargement of an older house carried out around 1848.
A castle has existed at this site possibly since the 13th Century. The castle is currently cared for by Historic Scotland.
Mousewald Tower is of 16th Century origin, and was built by the Carruthers family. It is the largest remaining Borders tower in the Parish of Mousewald.
Moy Castle was built in the 15th century by Hector Reaganach Maclean, 1st Laird of Lochbuie. The castle is now derelict.
Muchalls Castle entered national history in 1638 when a seminal Covenanter gathering took place here precedent to the English Civil War.
Murthly originates from the 15th Century.
An ambitious 19th-century replacement castle by James Gillespie Graham was never finished and was later demolished.
The castles construction dates to 1530. The castle and magnificent Scottish garden are now operated as a private conference centre with lodging.
The castle is said to be haunted by the ghost of Jean Douglas. She is reputed to appear clad in a full-length brown dress with a large white collar. The castle is not open to the public.
Newark was built in the 15th Century by Patrick Maxwell who was notorious for murdering 2 of his neighours and beating his wife. Today the castle is open to the public (closed in winter.)
Building on the site probably dates back to the 13th century at which time the Scottish king Alexander III (1241 - 1286) spent some of his childhood there. Since that time, the site has passed through several rebuilding phases.
Newark Castle was granted to Archibald Douglas, Earl of Wigtown around 1423. It was incomplete at this time and work continued until about 1475. The surrounding barmkin was added around 1550, and the present battlements and two square caphouses date from about 1600.
Newmilns Tower was built around 1525 by Sir Hugh Cambell, Earl of Loudon. The tower was fully restored in the 1990's and is now a private residence.
Newton Castle dates from the 14th century, and is haunted by the ghost of a Lady Jean Drummond.
Niddry Castle is a fourteenth-century tower house sitting between large shale bings (waste heaps.) The tower was built around 1500, by Lord Seton.
Nisbet House is a 17th-century mansion in the Scottish Borders. It was built in about 1630 by Sir Alexander Nisbet. The house today is an A-listed building.
Ochiltree meaning the 'high town or dwelling place' was built in the 16th Century. The monograms of Archibald Stirling of Keir and his wife are inscribed on the building.
Old Castle Lachlan
Old Castle Lachlan, is a ruined 15th-century castle on Loch Fyne, Scotland. It was the stronghold of Clan MacLachlan until 1746 when it was attacked by British Government forces. New Castle Lachlan was built as a replacement in 1790.
Old Slains Castle
In 1594, Francis Hay, 9th Earl of Erroll led a rebellion which was put down by James VI. The castle was destroyed with gunpowder and cannon.
After returning from exile, Hay built a New Slains Castle near Cruden Bay.
Orchardton is remarkable as it is the only cylindrical tower house in Scotland. It was built by the Cairns family, and is now in the care of Historic Scotland.
Penkill Castle is a 16th-century castle with 19th-century additions. The 16th-century tower was built by a branch of the Boyd family, relatives of the Earls of Kilmarnock.
of 15th Century origins. There are some traces of a tower at the south east corner, and some evidence of a courtyard to the north and south of the ruin, with the wall on the south of the main building now being merely a turf-covered stony bank. There were at least two building to the north, one of which may have been a chapel.
Pitreavie was built in the early 17th century, and was extensively remodelled in 1885. The house remained in private hands until 1938, when it was acquired by the Air Ministry, and became RAF Pitreavie Castle
One of the nine castles of the Knuckle, referring to the rocky headland of north-east Aberdeenshire.
The castle was originally built probably towards the end of the 15th century, but significantly altered two centuries later.
Pitullie Castle, is an oblong tower house probably dating from the late 16th century, half a mile from Pitsligo Castle.
Plunton Castle is of 16th Century origin. The building originally belonged to the McGhie family, and was then passed to the Lennoxes.
The castle was built in the early 16th century and later razed in 1548 by the English, then rebuilt.
The original structure, some of which may date from the 14th century, has four storeys. A further two storeys were added above the parapet in 1626, with Renaissance windows bearing the initials SIDKH (Sir John and Dame Katherine Hamilton).
Ravenscraig Castle is a ruined castle located in Kirkcaldy which dates from around 1460. The castle is an early example of artillery defence in Scotland. Now managed by Historic Scotland.
The earliest structure on the site was built for King William the Lion in the late twelfth century to repel Viking invasions to Lunan Bay.
The 15th Century castle, a four storey manor house in red sandstone, remained in the hands of the Douglas family, before being sold to John Laing in 1607.
Repentance Tower was built in 1565 by John Maxwell, it served as a watchtower for Hoddom Castle. The tower takes its name from an inscription above the door.
Robgill Tower was built in the late 16th Century. The tower was later incorporated into a 19th century mansion. Now private property.
Rossend Castle is largely of the 16th century, though with a 13th-century basement, which contains lancet windows and may represent the remains of a chapel.
Rosyth Castle was built as a secure residence by Sir David Stewart, who had been granted the Barony of Rosyth in 1428.
The original castle was built either by Alan, High Steward of Scotland, or by his son Walter Stewart around the 13th Century. A wooden castle was constructed first, but the stone circular curtain wall was in place by the 1230s.
The original castle is thought to date back into the 13th century. The building was once home to the Mures of Rowallan for over 400 years. Today pre-booked tours are available.
The castle was founded by King David I. In 1174 it was surrendered to England after the capture of William I at Alnwick, and was often in English hands thereafter. Today very little is left to see of the castle.
Rusko Castle most likely originates from the early 16th Century, and now lies in ruins. The building was inhabited until around 1890.
Built by David Hamilton, Bishop of Argyll, between 1508 and 1512, the castle was built from the stones of the ruined Saddell Abbey. Today the castle can be rented out as a self-catering property from the Landmark Trust.
Saltcoats Castle (16th Century) was a property of the Livingstones. Thereafter it passed to the Hamiltons of Pencaitland in the 18th century. It was occupied until after 1800, but it was partly demolished in 1820.
Saltoun Hall began life, in the 12th century, as a tower or castle and, at that time, was in the hands of the powerful de Morville family. Photo shows entrance lodge.
Sanquar Castle was built by the Crichton family in the 13th century. The castle today stands in a ruinous state.
Sauchie Tower, also known as Devon Tower, is a 15th-century tower house. The castle was built around 1431 by Sir James Schaw of Greenock.
The six-storey L-plan tower, still largely intact, was built in the third quarter of the 16th century by the Inglis family. It was bought, in 1611, by Sir John Scot, author of the satirical The Staggering State of the Scots Statesmen. Scot rebuilt the tower in the 1620s.
The main structure of the castle was built in the early 13th century by the Clan MacSween with later fortifications and other additions made to the castle through the 13th, 14th and 16th centuries. The castle was abandoned in the 17th Century.
Slains Castle overlooks the North Sea from its cliff-top site 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) east of Cruden Bay. The core of the castle is a 16th-century tower house, built by the 9th Earl of Erroll.
Smailholm Tower was originally built in the 15th century or early 16th century by the Pringle family. This family, originally spelt Hoppringle, who were followers of the Earl of Douglas, held the lands of Smailholm from the early 15th century, and managed part of Ettrick Forest for their feudal superior.
The ancient seat of the Clan Hannay, it is in an L-shaped format, rubble-built in the late sixteenth century.
A tablet on the castle wall states: Extant AD 1409, Added to AD 1783, Restored AD 1865, Enlarged AD 1909.
Today the castle operates as a hotel.
St Andrews Castle
There has been a castle standing at the site since the times of Bishop Roger (1189-1202), son of the Earl of Leicester. It housed the burghs wealthy and powerful bishops while St Andrews served as the ecclesiastical centre of Scotland during the years before the Protestant Reformation.
Stanely Castle is located in the waters of Stanely Reservoir, to the south of Paisley. It was probably built in the early 15th century. Since 1837 it has been partially submerged by the reservoir.
Staneyhill Tower was built in the 17th Century for the Sharp family. Today only the stair tower and ruined lower walls of the building remain.
Stoneypath Tower dating from the late 16th Century, was at first a property of the Lyles, but past thereafter in succession to the Hamiltons of Innerwick, the Douglases of Whittinghame, and the Setons. At some stage in may have been blown up.
The origins of the castle are obscure, but it is believed to have been built around 1350 by the Bairds. The ruin is publicly accessible.
The original castle was built in the 14th century by Sir Robert Wallace, Sheriff of Ayr. The present mansion, built by the Hamiltons of Sundrum in 1792.
Tantallon was built in the mid 14th century by William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas. It was passed to his illegitimate son, George Douglas, later created Earl of Angus, and despite several sieges, it remained the property of his descendants for much of its history.
Tarbert Castle was a strategic royal stronghold during the Middle Ages. The castle overlooks the harbour and although pre 14th century in construction, the tower dates back to 1494.
Taymouth stands on the site of the much older Balloch Castle (built in 1550), which was demolished to be rebuilt on a much larger scale in the early 19th century by the Campbells of Breadalbane.
Terpersie Castle is a 16th-century tower house. The small Z-plan tower house was constructed in 1561 by the Gordon family.
Terringzean dates back to the 14th Century, and was once referred to as Craufordstone, suggesting that it once belonged to the Crawford's. Today, little remains.
Thirlestane Castle is a castle set in extensive parklands near Lauder in the Borders. The land has been in the ownership of the Maitland family since 1587, and Thirlestane served as the seat of the Earls of Lauderdale.
Thomaston Castle was built for a nephew of Robert The Bruce, and first owned by Alan McElwain in the 16th Century.
Threave Castle was built in the 1370s by Archibald Douglas (the Grim.) Once home to the Black Douglases, Threave has an artillery fortification built before 1455 when James II besieged the castle.
Although ruined, the castle has been described as "the most characteristic château of the Scots Renaissance".
Torosay Castle is a large house built in the 1858 for John Campbell of Possil. Built in the Scottish Baronial style the house is surrounded by 12 acres of spectacular garden.
Torrisdale was built in 1815, by General Keith Macalister, of Loup and Torrisdale . The estate is home to the Macalister Hall family who have owned Torrisdale since 1890.
Torthorwald Castle was originally owned by Sir David Torthorwald in the 13th Century. The castle has served as a stronghold for the Kirkpatrick and Carlyle families.
Torwood has been estimated as being built around 1566 for Sir Alexander Forrester. It was once the seat of Clan Forrester.
Tower of Halbar
Halbar is is a 16th-century tower house recently restored and is let out as holiday accommodation.
Tranent Tower was built on lands belonging to the Seton family in 1542, and may have been built for them, but it was acquired by the Vallance family in the 16th century, and they retained it until the 19th century. Now in ruins.
Traquair is claimed to be the oldest continually inhabited house in Scotland. While not strictly a castle, it is built in the style of a fortified mansion. Now a visitor attraction.
Tullibole Castle was built in the early 17th century, and despite there being a church nearby dating back to at least the 13th century and possibly earlier, there doesn’t seem to have been a castle prior to the current one.
The origins of Turnberry Castle are lost in antiquity. As to when or by whom Turnberry was built there seems to be no authentic record, but it was originally a stronghold of the Lords of Galloway. Today, very little remains.
The castle was probably initially constructed by the Udny family in the 14th or 15th century.
The site was formally occupied by a 14th-century fortification founded by the Hay family, known as Smithfield Castle, which was destroyed in the 18th century. The present house was built for Alexander Stevenson, Sheriff Deputy of Peebleshire, on the site in 1782. It currently operates as a hotel.
Waughton Castle was a castle with a courtyard, but only part of one wing remains. The ruins are on a rock terrace, which is about 15 feet higher than the surrounding ground to the west and south. The remains of a small tower, at the south-west angle, and which is build of rubble with freestone dressing, stand up to 25 feet in height. Features of a narrow window in the south wall suggest that this is a 16th-century structure.
Wedderburn Castle was designed and constructed 1771–5 by the famous architect brothers Robert Adam and James Adam. The building is now used for hospitality.
The house includes a 16th-century L-plan tower house, which was substantially extended in the 17th and 19th century.
Whitslaid Tower was an ancient Berwickshire seat of the Lauder family for over 300 years. It is today a ruin high above the eastern bank of the Leader Water.
Whittingehame Tower was built on lands belonging to the Cospatrick Earls of March. In the 14th century the lands were acquired by the Douglases. During the reign of Mary, Queen of Scots, they were held by James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton.
Wreaths Tower originates from the 16th Century, and was once owned by the Regent Morton, executed in 1581. Today in a ruinous state.
The original stone keep, was built before 1267. Known as Yestred (from the Brythonic Ystrad, meaning strath or dale), the barony of Yester was granted by King William the Lion to Hugo de Giffard, a Norman immigrant given land in East Lothian during the reign of King David I.
(Visited 2,577 times, 1 visits today)