1) Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Spa, Bonnyrigg
The patriarch of the clan was Simundus de Ramesie (Simon of Ramsey), an English Knight of Norman descent from the Huntingdonshire village of Ramsey. Simundus, a vassal of David, Earl of Huntingdon, followed his lord to Scotland in about 1140 when David inherited the Scottish Crown. He is considered the founder of the Ramsay clan and the first to have lands at Dalhousie.
The first castle at Dalhousie was constructed by him. The red stone castle is situated in a strategic spot overlooking the River Esk. The drum tower, oldest part of the current structure, an L Plan castle dates to the mid 15th century.
2) Inverlochy Castle Hotel, Fort William
Inverlochy Castle Hotel is a 19th-century baronial mansion near Fort William, Scotland. It is located about two miles away from the 13th century Inverlochy Castle, after which it was named. This is a baronial mansion was built in 1863 by James Scarlett, 1st Baron Abinger. Queen Victoria spent a week at Inverlochy during an 1873 visit to Balmoral, remarking “I never saw a lovelier or more romantic spot”. The house has been used as a hotel since 1969.
3) Airth Castle, Stirlingshire
The castle is a major historic building, and retains much medieval fabric, and is designated as a Category A listed building by Historic Scotland. Within the castle grounds stand the ruins of the former parish church of Airth, a building, now roofless, of various periods, with substantial parts dating from the Romanesque period, and quire steeple and north aisle added by John Milne the royal master mason in 1647. The castle is said to be haunted by several ghosts.
4) Broomhall Castle, Clackmannanshire
Broomhall Castle was originally built in 1874 by John Foukes and Frances Mackison in 1874, for James Johnstone. It is situated in Menstrie, Clackmannanshire, Scotland on the Ochil Hills and consists of three storeys and a tower. In 1906 the wealth of the builder declined, and the Castle was sold to an Italian Riding School. in 1910 it became the Clifford Park Boys Prep School. In 1941 the building caught fire whilst the boarders were camping in the grounds. Despite the efforts of the Alloa Fire Brigade the building was gutted. There was a spectacular scene when the roof fell in, sending a shower of sparks heavenwards.
5) Fonab Castle, Pitlochry
Fonab is a traditional Scottish baronial castle, and was once home to the Sandeman family, who made their fortune in the port and sherry trade. Today the castle is a luxurious 5 star hotel, with views over Loch Faskally. The building was totally revamped with ‘no expense spared’ by the Clark family, who appear to dedicated to making it one of Scotland’s top hotels.
6) Stonefield Castle, Tarbert
Supposedly, the castle was constructed by the then current MacAlasdair Constable of Tarbert Castle. He neglected his duties as Constable of Tarbert Castle and allowed it to fall into disrepair. He lost, as a result of his neglect, his position of Constable of Tarbert and possession of Stonefield Castle, in the middle of the 18th Century, to Charles Campbell. The castle was extended and remodelled in 1837 and designed by architects William Henry Playfair and William Notman.
7) Mercure Barony Castle, Peebles
Located near the Borders town of Peebles, this castle was originally built in the 16th Century for the Murrays of Blackbarony. Today, this imposing 16th century tower house presents itself as a modern and welcoming hotel. Surrounded by 25 acres of pleasant countryside, yet under an hour from the Capital of Edinburgh, the Barony makes perfect location for an unforgettable break.
8) MacDonald Houston House, Uphall
Situated in a secluded spot near Livingston just west of Edinburgh, and set in 22 acres of beautiful woodlands, Macdonald Houstoun House is the perfect country hotel and retreat. Once visited by Mary Queen of Scots, the historic building has the classic grace of a 16th century Tower House. Inside, 70 rooms blend luxury and character, with a unique feature bedroom in the Tower.
9) Kildrummy Castle, Alford
Kildrummy Castle Hotel was buily in the early 1900’s and is regarded by many, as one of Scotland’s finest country mansion houses. The hotel is built close to the original 13th Century castle, in the midst of acres of carefully tended gardens.
10) Kinnettles Castle, Forfar
Kinnettles estate has origins dating back to the 1300’s. In 1802 the Kinnettles estate was sold to John Aberdain Harvey who built a second manor house surrounded by fine parkland. In 1864 James Paterson bought the property and began work on the structure known today as Kinnettles Castle – now a fine luxury hotel.